Movies hold our happiness, our grief, our wonder, our hypnosis. Movies represent society. As a struggling country, Bangladesh has loads of stories. For this movie of different genres are made in this country. Let’s talk about the top 10 Bangladeshi movies in 2019.
1. Sincerely Yours, Dhaka – First-ever anthology film of Bangladesh. It’s all about a love letter to Dhaka from the people of Dhaka. This movie comprises several short stories by 11 emerging filmmakers: Nuhash Humayun, Syed Ahmed Shawki, Rahat Rahman Joy, M.D. Robiul Alam, Golam Kibria Farooki, Mir Mukarram Hossain, Tanvir Ahsan, Mahmudul Islam, Abdullah Al Noor, Krishnendu Chattopadhyay and Syed Saleh Ahmed Sobhan. They have portrayed different angles of life. The whole story has a close realistic portrayal of characters living in modern Bangladesh. It is also a reflection of the respective portion director’s own insights. More than thirty renowned actors have worked for this film. They got into their characters & helped the audience to get the flavour of real Dhaka. This film is a masterpiece.
2. Alpha – This is “Give it a shot” type movie. Alpha will give you a look into a poor and mentally-devastated painter’s mind who is sick of his country and all the wrongdoings that take place in it every day. Bangladesh National Film Award-winning director and theatre genius Nasiruddin Yousuff Bacchu’s third feature-length film, “Alpha.” Narrative of the film is well gripping and you gonna love the direction, cinematography and music. Bangladesh has selected Alpha as its submission for the international feature film category at the 2020 Oscars.
3. Fagun Haway – The film’s story revolves around the Language Movement done by Bangladeshis (then the East Pakistanis). In 1952 a rich Hindu girl, Dipti (Nusrat Imrose Tisha) and a Dhaka University student, Nasir (Siam Ahmed), fall in love while the town around them falls apart at the brink of the language movement. A determined Pakistani police commander (Yashpal Sharma) reprimands everyone who speaks Bangla, including the bird that sings “Bou Kotha Kou,” the title of Tito Rahman’s short story the film is based on. The story is very heart touching & tells all about the struggle of people during 1952 from a small town of Bangladesh.
4. Mayabati – Mayabati is just “part of the circle” type movie. The story of the film revolves around Maya, a girl who is stolen from her mother at a very young age. Maya ends up in the Daulatdia Ghat red-light district where a barrister falls in love with her, but new problems arise when she gets involved in a brutal murder. The film also stars actor Yash Rohan who is known for his role in “Swapnajaal.”
5. Jodi Ekdin – I can bet that your friends, family, and you are going to fall in love with this movie. It is a story about strong love for a daughter and a great sacrifice It ends with a huge tear-jerker along with happiness. The directing is on point and beautifully topped with mesmerizing performances by the lead actors. This romantic film is directed by Mohammad Mostafa Kamal Raz. The film stars Tahsan Khan, Srabanti Chatterjee and Afrin Shikha Raisa as child artists in the lead roles. The most important thing about this movie is emotion. The director has used the character’s emotion in the film in such a way that the film has achieved its application to the audiences.
6. Abar Bosonto – This movie talks about the loneliness of a man at his 50’s who starts to like being in his boring lifestyle. Then suddenly he met a lovely young girl. After that, he fell in love with the girl & starts to live again. People may think this is an unequal love story, they may start to frown but this film is beyond all these. Abar Bosonto will help you to discover your life from a different angle. It will help you to feel the real you. Tariq Anam Khan and Orchita Sporshia did a great job as the lead character
7. Shapludu – One of the most thought-provoking movies you have ever watched. If you want to watch a movie that will make you anxious during many scenes, then go for Shapludu. This movie will make you think continuously even after the show ends. This political thriller is directed by Golam Sohrab Dudu. Popular Dhallywood actors Arifin Shuvoo and Bidya Sinha Mim have played lead characters in the film. All the cast have done their job well.
8. Made in Bangladesh – This movie revolves about female garment workers attempting to unionize in Bangladesh. The film also beautifully brings out the power hierarchy that works against the labour class of the society, more specifically the layer of gender politics. As Bangladesh is one of the world’s largest producers of fast fashion and the women workers are poorly paid this film can help the authority to rethink about the discrimination.
9. Gohiner Gaan – First-ever full-length musical film in Bangladesh. This film holds up remarkably well today. Gohiner Gaan tells the story of the conflict between stardom and personal life of a star singer. Asif Akbar ( Bangladeshi pop singer)role-played the character of the star singer in this film. This film is written and directed by author & filmmaker Sadat Hossain. You can watch this late-night solo type movie to calm your mind.
10. No Dorai – Dare to Surf – This dragged by your feet type movie set in the picturesque Cox’s Bazar telling the story of a female surfer who struggles to maintain social expectations and pursue her dream. life. You will see the passion in her eyes as she shows commendable surfing skills and the helplessness in her eyes when she asks her father for help after getting married. The best part of Bangladesh’s first surfing film is women empowerment. This movie tries to express that woman can make their own decision. This message is given through surfing.
There are many Bangladeshi movies out there. Undoubtedly you can go for them and make your moments. These movies can make your quarantine time more thoughtful, more productive & more enjoyable.